Ardvreck Castle - with the mountain of Quinag behind
A Brief History of the Castle
In the later years of the fifteenth century the MacLeods of Assynt decided to build themselves a castle on a good defensive site at the north eastern end of the loch. This first castle was a comparatively simple rectangular block of some three or four storeys.
A possible recontruction of this is shown below.
About a century later Donald Ban, ninth MacLeod of Assynt added a tower with a stair and two upper rooms with fireplaces and also creating vaulted cellars and a vault over the great hall.
In 1650 the MacLeods imprisoned the Marquis of Montrose in the castle. At the time many Scots saw Montrose as a traitor, but within twenty years the political situation changed and it was the MacLeods who were being vilified. This played into the hands of the MacKenzies who achieved their long nurtured ambition to acquire Assynt through a siege of the castle in 1672.
Historic Assynt have recently completed the consolidation of the castle ruins.
There is a car-park close by and footpaths lead to the Castle and Calda House