The ruins of Calda House, Loch Assynt & Ardvreck Castle beyond
A Brief History of Calda House
The second MacKenzie of Assynt , Kenneth, was persuaded by his wife to abandon the austerity and discomfort of Ardvrek in favour a new house at nearby Calda. Begun in 1726 it was the first classical style house in the northwest highlands and at that time would have been very grand indeed.
Possible reconstruction showing how the house may have looked
Amid mounting debts the luxury loving Mackenzies were forced to put their grand house up for sale and a struggle for control of Assynt now ensued between the MacKenzie Earl of Seaforth and the Earl of Sutherland. In 1736 some MacKenzie supporters deliberately torched Calda House to prevent it ever being used by the Sutherlands!
'Cutaway' reconstruction of the possible interior layout
Historic Assynt have recently completed the consolidation of the house ruins.
There is a car-park close by and footpaths lead to the Calda House & the Castle