The former Assynt Church after the recent restoration
A Brief History of The Church & Churchyard
An 8th – 11th century Celtic Cross, fragments of which were discovered in the churchyard, are all that remain of the earliest Christian presence in Assynt. It may have marked a site for outdoor worship and preaching, which was later used for a simple medieval church within a churchyard.
Possible medieval church and Celtic Cross
At about the time that Ardvrek Castle was extended the MacLeods of Assynt built themselves an impressive burial vault. It is a very substantial monument which may once have been attached to the north side of the medieval church. The vault originally had an upper chamber but this was dismantled just over two hundred years ago and the medieval church disappeared some decades before that. The present church was constructed in 1743 on a new site on the north side of the churchyard.
Reconstuction of the Church built in 1743
The church was restored and altered from time to time but took on its present appearance during major work in 1900. It closed in the 1970’s and fell into disrepair, but has just been restored for community use and houses many local records.
Historic Assynt have almost completed the restoration of the church which will open in later 2006
There is limited car-parking at the church but more car-parks close by